One Year in Melbourne

Tuesday, July 25, 2017


25th July 2017 – I have been in Melbourne for a year... That is if you don't count the 3 months I was back home for summer. Still... I arrived in Melbourne on this date last year. An entire year has gone by.

I got here on the first day of uni! Imagine going straight to uni the second you hop off your plane. I missed my orientation so I had zero clue on how things work or where my classes were. I was on the verge of crying when I first got to campus. It was so overwhelming! I knew no one. It was freezing. 

It wasn't until the third (or fourth) day where I locked myself in a bathroom cubicle at the campus centre and cried. I missed my friends and the warm weather. I missed the familiar things. At the time, I thought I was never gonna adjust to a new life here. I begged my parents to take me back.

I have dreamed about studying in Melbourne since 2013. So when I begged my parents to take me back, it just was so frustrating. How was I so upset when my dream finally came true?
The homesickness didn't go away until a little over a week after my parents left, which I think is pretty quick. Even my housemate was impressed at how quick I adapted after my parents left. Fast forward to today, I have never been more grateful. I love it here. So. Much.

Sure, there are days where I just want to be home with my favourite people. But at the end of the day, I always remind myself the freedom I have now that I'm away from my parents HAHAHA. Gotta enjoy it while it lasts hey?


I am so glad I have the most amazing and supportive parents that made all this possible. I love it here so much. Honestly, I would go through the stages of crying and homesickness again because I can't imagine living anywhere else.

You Might Also Like

0 comments